BAKING SODA FOR HEARTBURN
Can you really cure heartburn with baking soda? Well, it won’t ’cure’ heartburn but it is an excellent way to temporarily neutralize acid in the mouth, esophagus and stomach. Once the stomach acids are neutralized, the pain will go away. For now. The ideal solution would be to stop heartburn from happening in the first place. It is possible. Read about it here while you wait for this bout of heartburn pain to subside.
Try Baking Soda for Heartburn. You probably have it in your kitchen right now. It is known by many terms – bread soda, cooking soda, bicarbonate of soda, or simply bicarb. It is a leavening agent, which means it releases carbon dioxide when it reacts with acid. (This is what causes the fluffiness in breads and muffins when you’re baking). This is why you will probably experience some burping when you use baking soda for heartburn.
For quick heartburn relief, dissolve 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 cup of warm water. Slowly sip on this until the pain and discomfort are gone. Drink only as much as is necessary. If one dose isn’t enough, make another. Again, only drink enough to make you feel better. You don’t have to finish the whole glass. Baking soda is high in sodium. If you are watching your sodium intake, it may not be the best idea to use baking soda for heartburn. There are may other ways to cure heartburn, it won’t hurt to read about all your options.
Now you know how you can use baking soda for heartburn but it has many other uses you may not be aware of:
- Toothpaste – add baking soda to toothpaste for better plaque removal and it can increase its whitening effect.
- Cleaning Silver – place aluminum foil in a stainless steel or glass bowl. Add silver – it must be touching the foil. Boil one liter of water with two tablespoons of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of salt. Pour it on your silver and let it sit until the tarnish disappears, usually no more than 5-10 minutes.
- Air Freshener – Baking soda will absorb odors. Sprinkle baking soda on carpets or pet beds. Let it sit for 15 minutes, then vacuum.
- Deodorant – mix equal parts of baking soda and cornstarch for an effective powder deodorant. For a solid deodorant, add an equal part of coconut oil to the powder mix, heat and mix together. Pour into old deodorant stick holders and cool til its solid. (You may want to keep it in the fridge).
- Increase the pH of pools, ponds or hot tubs.
I’m getting off topic, you’re here for information on baking soda for heartburn, not all the uses under the sun for baking soda. (That could be a website by itself!) Try the baking soda cure and let me know how it works for you. The taste is not the best but it should do the trick. With a few simple changes in your diet or lifestyle, you can cure heartburn permanently. Read more about curing heartburn naturally.